UIC’s Women’s Leadership and Resource Center (WLRC) is a Center for Cultural Understanding and Social Change (CCUSC) and serves faculty, staff, and students across all its campuses (East, West, Law, UI Health).
WLRC’s mission is to increase awareness of and affirm the diverse needs of woman-identified persons in higher education; provide opportunities to learn about the histories of and contemporary issues in feminist movements, activism, and scholarship, especially as they relate to white supremacy, ableism, heterosexism, transphobia, wealth inequality, et al; and promote gender equity, anti-violence, inclusion, and social justice on campus and in the larger society and world.
To accomplish this mission, WLRC aims to
- offer engaged learning opportunities for individual students, classes, and groups
- provide a range of programs (e.g., lectures, film series, workshops, exhibitions, colloquia, storytelling, artmaking, etc.) and resources from feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppression perspectives
- assist students and staff in identifying and acquiring resources, tools, opportunities, and skills that help them have a successful experience at UIC
- bring attention to the need for self-care, spiritual well-being, respect, and sense of belonging among students and staff
- foster collaborations and connections among UIC faculty/students/staff and with feminist and social justice groups in Chicago to address the issues that impact the lives of marginalized women
- create spaces for building community and solidarity and fostering dialogue
- encourage awareness about gender-based violence and advocate for safety through the Campus Advocacy Network (CAN) program. CAN provides
- confidential crisis support and advocacy for survivors of any gender/sexual/racial identity or university status who have experienced gender-based violence, and
- educational programs, training, campaigns, activism, internships, and community-building.
Location and Hours Heading link
1700 Student Services Building
1200 W. Harrison
Chicago, IL 60607
(northwest corner of Harrison and Racine)
For assistance in locating the center, please contact us at email@example.com or (312) 413-1025.
The center is open year-round Monday through Friday from 10am to 4pm.
- The 7 west-bound (WB) bus stops on Harrison, in front of the building, on the northwest corner of Harrison and Racine.
- The 7 east-bound (EB) bus stops on Harrison, across the street, on the southwest corner of Harrison and Racine.
- The 60 WB bus stops on Racine, across the street, on the southwest corner of Harrison and Racine.
- The 60 EB bus stops on Racine, across the street, on the southeast corner of Harrison and Racine.
- The Blue Line Racine stop is one block north of the building.
Via UIC Shuttle:
- The WB Intracampus and Semester Express buses stop on Harrison, in front of the building.
- The EB Semester Express bus stops on Racine, across the street, on the southwest corner of Harrison and Racine.
- The EB Intracampus bus stops on Harrison, across the street, on the southeast corner of Harrison and Racine.
- Masks are required. Guests may not eat food inside the space.
- The Student Services Building (SSB) and WLRC suite are accessible via wheelchair. Once inside SSB, visitors can use a flight of stairs on the east side of the building, a ramp on the west side of the building, or the elevator in the center of the building to reach the suite. SSB has a reception desk near the east entrance at Harrison and Racine where guests can request assistance in getting to WLRC’s suite.
- WLRC aims to provide, but cannot guarantee, a scent-free space.
- The entire suite has overhead fluorescent lights. We will be adding lamps soon to reduce the brightness of the lighting.
- Please send any questions or access requests to firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 413-1025.